11 Aug 2021

Deliverance

 It might be a little... pedestrian? But I love 10,000 days. It's a good album to get work done to. In fact I recently painted my house to it. While taking stock of projects today I had it on and as I was throwing around images in my head of the painting I'm working on the show stopper, "Wings for Marie Pt2" began. I'm not a huge Tool fan so I can't really speak to much of their other work but this track to me is a masterpiece. I rarely manage to finish it with dry eyes but today I realized a parallel to my painting. I'm sure an added level of appreciation comes from knowing the story behind this song but the honest rage in the first act, and sense of deliverance in it's closure gets me every time. So much so I never leave it without considering my own deliverance. This is closely followed by a consideration of now we deliver ourselves during life. How kind we are to ourselves and the paths we try to navigate on our (religious or not) spiritual journey. New work going well then? I'm not sure... ;-)




TOOL

Wings for Marie pt2.

[Verse 1]
We listen to the tales and romanticize
How we'd follow the path of the hero
Boast about the day when the rivers overrun
How we rise to the height of our halo
Listen to the tales as we all rationalize
Our way into the arms of the savior
Feigning all the trials and the tribulations
None of us have actually been there
Not like you

[Verse 2]
Ignorant siblings at the congregation
Gather around spewing sympathy
Spare me
None of them can even hold a candle up to you
Blinded by choice, these hypocrites won't see
But enough about the collective JudasWho could deny you were the one who
Illuminated your little piece of the divine?
And this little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me
I'm gonna let it shine to guide you safely on your way
Your way home

[Verse 3]
Oh, what are they gonna do when the lights go down
Without you to guide them all to Zion?
What are they gonna do when the rivers overrun
Other than tremble incessantly?
High is the way, but all eyes are upon the ground
You were the light and the way they'll only read about
I only pray Heaven knows when to lift you out
Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough
You're going home 

[Chorus]
You're the only one who can hold your head up high
Shake your fists at the gates, saying
"I have come home now
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended
It's time now, my time now
Give me my, give me my wings"

[Post-Chorus]
Give me my
Give me my
Give me my
Give me my
Give me my
Give me my wings
You are the light and way that they will only read about

[Bridge]
Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance
Burden of proof tossed upon non-believers
You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence
Judith Marie, unconditional one

[Outro]
Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence
Difficult to see you in this light
Please forgive this bold suggestion
Should you see your maker's face tonight
Look him in the eye, look him in the eye, and tell him
"I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home." 



No comments:

Post a Comment